Moses, the Tables of the Law and The Ark of the Covenant

Doli Porter at Girinagar

This drawing portrait the Doli Porters at Mount Girinagar in the State of Gujarat.

The tradition of bringing heavy objects and people is been in use since old times, when the stairs climbing to the top of Mount Girinagar have been built.

If Moses came here with the Israelites escaping from the Egyptian Pharaoh, he received the table of the law on top of this sacred Mountain. They built a wooden crate covered with gold leafs and two angels on top as guardians. Then they brought the Tables of the Law down to the settlements of the Israelites, soon they departed to the promised land and they walk with this crate as depicted by the Doli Porter of today Mount Girinagar.

The golden crate late in history was called “Ark of the Covenant” and it disappeared from Israel long time ago.

The tradition of writing law on stone has been a divine revelation for millenia. The Indian King Ashoka had a stone with the law written in three languages, the rock is still visible here in Mount Girinagar.

Royal_Arch_Room_Ark_replica_2


A contribute from Prof. John Weimar:

In the summer of 1493 BC Queen Hatshepsut (Matkara) of Egypt (ca. 1503–1480 BC) sent a fleet of ships on a seafaring trading expedition to Punt Ta Netjer (the sacred land of Punt, ‘God’s Land’) in search of valuable products including myrrh, frankincense, ebony and ivory. Hatshepsut was not the first pharaoh to trade with Punt. The Egyptians had commercial relations with Punt as early as the Fifth Dynasty (ca. 2470–2350 BC), and maintained trade sporadically for over 1,000 years, until trade lapsed in the Twentieth Dynasty (ca. 1190–1077 BC). Most commentators have assumed Africa (Ethiopia, Sudan, or Somalia) as the location of Punt, but Giri (2008) suggested that Punt lay to the east, the Indus Valley of Pakistan and the present-day State of Gujarat (Kutch and Saurashtra) in India. If the Egyptian idea of ‘Punt Ta Netjer’ is considered as derived from Sanskrit sources, the word Punt might echo the word Panch (= five), referring to the region of the five rivers, as in the Panjab of Pakistan and India. Alternatively, it might connote the word panka, as in ‘mud, earth or clay’, possibly referring to Mata-na-Madh, or simply Madh (also called Mhurr), an important location near the mouth of the Indus, in Lakhpat Taluka, western Cutch, Gujarat in India, famed and mined for its sacred mud in the form of fossilized coal and resin (Ashapuri dhoop, a fragrant incense with a sweet and pervasive aroma). At Mata-na-Madh is situated the main ancient temple of goddess Ashapura.

In the record of Hatshepsut’s expedition, of the four named representatives of Punt (Irem, Nemyew, Parahu and Ati) it is Nemyew, the chief of Saurashtra (renowned for frankincense) who interests us here. This Nemyew could well be the same as Nemiyahu (mighty Nemi) or Aristanemi (i.e. Neminath), the 22nd Jain Tirthankar and cousin of Krishna, lord of Raivata or Mount Girnar.

If Moses, when wandering in the desert, travelled as far as Saurashtra (as Punt), possibly even with one of the Egyptian royal trading expeditions, where Girnar/Junagadh (as the capital of Saurashtra) would most likely have been visited, he could well have returned to Egypt with the Vedas. This possible Indian connection with ancient Egypt could then explain the shift in Egyptian religion to sun worship, which happened about 1350 BC when Amenhotep (Akhenaten) established the new capital of Akhenaten and enforced the monotheistic worship of the sun (Ra). But after his death, both Akhenaten and Akhenaten’s reforms were abandoned (Giri 2008).

Mr Claude Hill, Agent to the Governor-General in Kathiawar, wrote (Ryley 1913) that: ‘There has indeed, from the earliest times, been direct and almost continual ocean traffic between Egypt, Arabia and East Africa on the one hand and the Province of Gujarat on the other, and, both in its population and in its customs, Kathiawar shows very definite traces of Egyptian, African and Arabian influence.”


 

An old tradition in Junagadh, State of Gujarat in India

Round and Round at Junagadh

This colored box is located at the end of the West Canal in Junagadh, in Gujarat.

Once a year, as one of the infinite Indian Traditions, some people gather around this box and holding the hands to each other, turn around and around in anti-clockwise motion.

Advertisements